WELCOME TO THE HOME OF COACH JOHN NEWSOMS JOURNEY TO KONA 2014
This website will outline, in detail, my build up to the 2014 Ironman World Ironman Championships in Hawaii (providing I can qualify). The goal in Kona is to simply race as fast as possible which should have me in the region of the top 10 in my age group. Whilst getting on the podium would be nice it is not my key driver. I am much more focused on having the best possible race I can.
Why am I making a comeback?
Through various camps I have set up including Epic Camp Lite Kona 2014 (June) and Epic Camp Canada 2014 (August) I knew I was required to be in half decent shape to just complete these challenging camps. Coming off Canada I should have good bike legs so I figured I might as well look for a race to do and Kona seemed to fit. After my woeful effort in 2005 due to injury and some poor decisions I do have redemption as a key motivator.
So why the website and what do I want to achieve with it? Through my networks I will be looking for every possible way to get (legally) as fast as I can. I would like to share this knowledge with the IMTalk community who I know will be following via our podcast. By having the website whoever wants the finer detail of every session I do can visit this site. It will also help me to stay motivated and somewhat accountable to those that follow me.
I know there are probably a bunch of pro’s that post their training but like a typical age grouper I will be trying to fit in training around work, a wife, two young kids (3 & 5 years old (at the start of 2013)) and life in general.
I will be attempting to keep this site updated in the following ways
- Outline my general periodised plan
- Log every single session I do from February 2013 to October 2014. This will include power, heart rate and GPS files. Each session will have a link to my Training Peaks account so details can be viewed with 1 click
- Post a weekly blog entry and the general state of affairs
- Post specialist blog entries when I have specialist
- Anything else I can think of that will be of interest to the community.